Uniforms & Equipment
Provided at no cost to the employee, North Myrtle Beach Department of Public Safety will provide all basic equipment including:
- Body armor
- Firefighter turn out gear
- Leather gear
Salary levels are competitive and based on the results of periodic salary surveys. A performance evaluation shall be completed annually once the employee completes the required probationary period and becomes a full-time employee. Pay increases will be awarded as provided by the Pay for Performance Matrix published annually in the City budget.
Pay Scale as of July 2018
- Firefighter/EMT: $ 38,465 to $ 67,117
- Public Safety Officer: $42,752 to $74,597
Vacation & Holiday Leave
City employees earn 11 paid holidays (8 hour) per year. The vacation year runs from January 1 to December 31. Vacation is earned from the date your employment starts, but may not be taken during the first six-months of service. Vacation time earned is based upon years of service with the City of North Myrtle Beach.
- 0 to 5 Years Of Service: 10 Days Per Year
- 5 to 10 Years Of Service: 15 Days Per Year
- 10 or More Years Of Service: 20 Days Per Year
Firefighters working a 24/48 hour schedule accrue annual leave in the following manner:
Years of Continuous Employment, Annual Leave Accrued Per Year
- 0 to 5 Years Of Service: 112 hours
- 5 to 10 Years Of Service: 168 hours
- 10 or More Years Of Service: 224 hours
Sick leave is accrued at a rate of 80 hours per year.
Flexible Benefits Plan
- Employer provided group dental insurance
- Employer provided group health insurance
- Employer provided group life insurance
- Optional dependent life insurance
- Optional life insurance
- Optional supplemental insurance policies (i.e. short-term disability, life, cancer, accident long term disability, and critical illness, etc.)
- Wellness program
Public Safety members who are military reservists may receive up to 15 days of military leave per year with pay.
Officers participate in the South Carolina Police Officers Retirement System. The City and the officer contribute funds monthly to this program. You may view the program at South Carolina Police Officer Retirement System.
- 457K/Deferred Compensation Plans available
- Credit Union
- Extra Assignment Pay
- Job related training program / opportunities
- Longevity pay program
- Paid Overtime
- Take home vehicle program
- Tuition Reimbursement - Based on local college tuition rates
Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer
The City of North Myrtle Beach is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer who is committed to recruit, hire, promote or transfer employees without regard to:
- Marital status
- National origin
- Political affiliation
- Receipt of public assistance
Except that no person shall be employed who advocates or belongs to a group which advocates the violent overthrow of our government.