The Fire Rescue Training Unit provides quality training to the department’s Fire Rescue and Uniform Patrol personnel.
Training & Certification
All Fire Rescue personnel are trained to NFPA Firefighter II. All company officers meet NFPA Fire Instructor I and Fire Officer I standards. Public Safety Officers are trained to NFPA Firefighter I. Each year, Fire Training conducts continuing training in the following areas:
- Basic firefighter skills
- Company Officer
- Driver / Operator
- Emergency Medical Technician
- Hazardous materials
- ISO compliance
- Technical rescue
The Fire Training curriculum uses material from the:
- Emergency Management Institute
- International Association of Fire Chiefs
- International Association of Firefighters
- National Fire Academy
- South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control
- South Carolina Emergency Management
- South Carolina Fire Academy
The department participates in the Horry Georgetown Training Officer’s Association and sends personnel to the Fire Department Instructor Conference (FDIC) each year.
Fire Training Center
The Department of Public Safety Fire Training Center is located at 2nd Avenue South and Bay Street, inside the North Myrtle Beach Municipal Complex.
- BullEx Attack digital fire training system
- Confined space rescue prop
- Firefighter rescue / mayday / RIT props
- Forcible entry simulator
- High-angle rope rescue prop
- SCBA confidence course
- Three-story concrete burn building with fire department connections (standpipe and sprinklers)
- Ventilation props
View our training photo gallery.
Charles FullDivision Chief of Fire TrainingPhone: 843-281-3851
Nathan MarkerHealth and Safety Captain/EMSPhone: 843-281-3705
Ken NortonFire Training Captain